Jackie's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, December 27, 2007

    Crackpot

    27 December 2007: I'm lying on my pack, in the rain, at dusk, clutching my injured knee on the bouldered banks of the Wanganui River Valley and this guy is talking to me about lemons.

    Lemons are what you don't want to add up - the gambling equivalent of hitting all cherries or 7's - winning you the outdoor disaster jackpot. My knee is no slot machine, but I did hear it bling, ring, and pop!

    Now faced with the decision of turning back or seeking shelter, I recalled a quote by the great philosopher, Yogi Berra, who said: If you come to a fork in the road, take it.

    So, that night, I chose to continue on - though the rain, darkness, and swollen rivers to Hunters Hut.

    Many hours and a few more lemons later, Andy (Colorado, Astronomy PhD candidate) and I bivouacked before an impassable river crossing. Maybe tomorrow, we'll get to the hut and make lemonade.

    Image from: jackie (bivouac shelter)

    No comments:

    Powered By Blogger