Jackie's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, July 18, 2008

    Supreme

    18 August 2008: Today I had a chat with former Supreme Court Justice, Sandra Day O'Connor.

    Here's a press statement: O'Connor is in Christchurch as an Eric Hotung Fellow after retiring from the Supreme Court in 2005. Hotung donated $HK1 million ($NZ185,000) to Canterbury University in 2005 to bring lawyers of international standing to the city and enhance the profile of the school.

    She's been giving a series of law seminars: Rule of law around the world, Reflections from the US Supreme Court, and Guantanamo Bay: Legal black hole?

    After today's talk, I introduced myself as a fellow American, shook her hand, and welcomed her to New Zealand. She was pleasantly surprised and asked what everyone else asks me: Why are you here?!

    I told her it's the same reason she was brought here: funding.

    Image from: the press

    No comments:

    Powered By Blogger